Thursday, April 10, 2008

How Manners You Are?


It was a situation that I met this afternoon when I’m on my way to NUS. I was taking the train from Yishun to Jurong East. When I was taking the other train towards the Clementi station, a few seconds after the train left the Jurong East station, I heard a man shouting towards an old man behind me. I was shocked by the voice. The words that used by the man was so rude. After seeing this happen, I have a few questions in my mind. Why there was no one giving the seat to the old man? Why the man can’t tolerance to the old man? How manners we are to others? As we always heard the slogan in Singapore, ”Courtesy is our way of life. Make courtesy our way of life.” Is it true?
Interesting question, isn’t it? In the Age of Rudeness, we may be losing touch with what etiquette and good manners are all about. In fact there may be those among us who haven’t experienced it.
Good manners are civilized behavior. That’s as opposed to wild behavior. Whether that was a particular rule in your household, or culture, all cultures have “rules” and they are learned, not innate. All cultures have rules and if you violate them, you’ll be excluded. Manners must be really ingrained; a matter of who you are, not how you are. The attitude must be without thinking, but the particulars require great thought. It’s always easier to revert to the feral state. There are those among us who still blurt out “thank you,” “you’re welcome,” ”excuse me,” and “May i?”But there are a lot more among us who don’t!
So, to have good manners we must learn the actions- the “trivialities of deportment” – and then stop and think when we’re with others. Then we can avoid being tactless. Avoiding being rude, has a lot to do with emotional intelligence which, like good manners, can be learned. EQ requires self-awareness and empathy – the ability to understand how your behavior affects others and their feelings. It requires a strong interface between emotions and thinking.
It’s easier to be rude and it’s harder to be polite. But what happens when everyone behaves that way? Then we have a rudeness epidemic. And how will we change that? One person at a time! As Mother Teresa said, when the house is dirty don’t complain or call a committee, pick up the broom and start sweeping.

10 comments:

Tsyr Harn said...

nice work. actually how many of us truly wanted to give up our seat to the needy? or we just act to what government wanted us to do it.

KHIEM said...

It is a very meaningful post. I like it. In my home country, it is a so-called "daily habit" to offer the seat to the one who needs it more than you.

sawks said...

well....actually i am the one who will give seat to the needy....hehe...

wee said...

Honestly, I usually don't give seat to the needy when I am in Malaysia.However, I will do so when I am in Singapore.It just like a social pressure towards you if you did't give seat to them.I never have this feeling in Malaysia.

Brad Blackstone said...

This is a very telling, nearly frightening story. It is, in many ways, the Age of Rudeness. I guess we are all guilty to a certain extent.

Wee has an interesting response. Is the social environment an influence on our manners?

Thank you, Jen, for doing a great job with your blogging this term. It's been a pleasure to read. Keep it up!

(In my dreams I hope your future will include you becoming an a member of Malaysia's parliament representing Johor. The southern state needs brains & voices like yours!)

Good luck in your future!

Gooji said...

Yes indeed. Pressure of social environment was acting in this case. Some people (i really mean just some) are giving out seats just for the sake of giving. Without sincerity, I think there's not much difference whether to give out the seat or not.

Guo Cheng said...

As I have seen, it is quite common to see someone give up seat for the needy. Is it that serious in Singapore?

Aaron Zhao (EG1471) said...

I will give seats to the needs most times. However, if i need more, i won't give la.

Ken Yeo said...

I once gave my sit to an old man then the old man gave his sit to a young lady... Could you believe it? Moral of the story... Give seats to young lady then take their number... (Joking)

wee said...

When I was in the train of KL, I saw an aunty with quite big tummy and I was wondering she is pregnant or not..Then I decided to give up my seat to her,but she showed a very bad response to reject my offer.I decided not give up my seat so 'easily' after this incident.Until now,I still don't know that aunty is pregnant or not???hahahahaha